Doula is from the Greek referring to a woman who helps other women.
A doula fulfills that meaning and then some–she is someone who helps women during labor and birth through massage, relaxation, positioning and breathing.
A doula also helps families learn about information to help them to have a better birth experience. Doulas help to create an environment of safety for the mother so that she can allow her body to relax and work without feeling tense and threatened.
A doula is not at the birth to function as a medical adviser. She is working only for you as a wonderful, objective support and advocate.
What are the benefits of having a doula?
- Shorter labor of about 25-50%
- Decrease the chance of c-section by up to 50%
- Decrease the need for pain medication by 30-60%
- Help Fathers to participate with confidence
- Increased success in breastfeeding
- Greater satisfaction about the birth
- Decrease the use of forceps by 40%
- Reduce the use of Pitocin